Before you invest in prototype casting, it is important to research the industry, the basic processes, and how to optimize the casts for your specific needs. Thoroughly research alloy specifications and compare to your requirements and needs. Our alloy options include aluminum, magnesium, zinc, and stainless steel which are used for various necessities in casting a prototype.
A Simple Comparison of Prototype Casting Alloys
Prototype Casting Inc
Aluminum is a lightweight alloy that is able to withstand impressive temperatures of all other die casting metals.
- High operating temperatures
- Outstanding corrosion resistance
- Very good strength and hardness
- Good stiffness and strength-to-weight ratio
- Excellent EMI and RFI shielding properties
- Excellent thermal conductivity
- High electrical conductivity
- Good finishing characteristics
- Full recyclability
Magnesium is the lightest structural metal to be used in casting with a median casting tolerance. Compared to many other alloys, magnesium is also one of the purest alloys.
- Particularly stiff and strong
- High level of electrical and thermal conductivity
- Able to withstand high temperatures
- Capable of producing thin walls in casting
- Exceptional resistance to corrosion and rust
Zinc is also one of the highest thin-wall capable alloys on the market. It's consistent geometry and durability makes it a candidate for rapid production and manufacturing at a low cost.
- Strong alloy with high hardness
- Electrical and thermal conductivity
- Superb resistance to corrosion
- Fully recyclable waste
- High dimensional accuracy and stability
- Ability to cold form and heat form
A brief understanding of alloy capability and expectations will only serve to your advantage when looking to cast your part prototypes. While it is our duty to know how to optimize your capabilities with their appropriate materials, structures, designs, inspections, and modifications, we want you to understand the methods of our craft. If you have any further inquiries or concerns, don’t hesitate to give us a call!